History - Kent County PGL

Go to content

Main menu:

History


 


THE 1920’s



The Warrant to open Kent County Province was issued on the 17/7/1920,  the Province

officially opened four months later on the 17/11/1920.



There where nine lodges who transferred from Grand Lodge Direct to Kent County on that

night they where:-

Livingstone 2118, Royal Engineers 2170, Ye Olde Brompton 2838,  Gillingham 3080, Central

3093, Loyal and True 3094, Kingsnorth 3095, Maplesden 3117 and Pride of Cliff 3135.  

One also transferred from the control of Chatham, which was Clarendon 3221.

The first Lodge to be opened by the Province was The Pride of Gravesend, the dispensation

was issued on the 24/01/1921



1921

Another 6 Lodges where granted dispensations and opened, they where:-  Comrades 3617,

Strood Ivy Leaf 3681, Royal Marine 3682, Ye Olde Aylesford 3727, Edward VII 3742 and

Woodland 3988.



1922

Had the opening of Woodland Lodge, dispensations where issued for the, Duke of Marlboro

4088, Pride of Cuxton 4148 and the Royal Navy 4339.  

The Maplesden Lodge changed it name to the Pride of Higham 3117.

Kent County gave permission for the province boundary to be moved so the South East Kent

Province could come into being.


1923

Had the Isle of Grain 4656, Sir William Thomas Sherman (Sir W.T. Sherman) 4680, Sir F.A.

Morris (Sir Fred Arthur Morris) 4836, and the Pride of Snodland 4892 opened.



1924

Had the opening of the  Sir H.H. Parsons (Sir Herbert H. Parsons) 5125, the first Albatross 5326  
and Allhallows 5334.

Knights Chapter No 124 opened.



1925

The Ye Olde Aylesford  3727, transferred to the Maidstone Province.  

The Royal Engineers changed its name to Pembroke 2170.



1926

Stan Terry 5828 and Maple Leaf 5974 opened

Pride of Snodland Transferred to the Maidstone Province.


1927

Chas Lowman 6205 opened.


1928

The first province Lodge closed, Pride of Higham 3117.


1929

Had the opening of the Bridgewood 6418 and Ernest Page 6481.  

The Sir  H.H. Parsons 5125 amalgamated with the Pride of Gravesend 3469.



THE 1930’s




1930

Saw the opening of the Pride of Meopham 6926 and the closure of the Pride of Cliff 3135, Sir

W.T. Sherman 4680 and Kingsnorth 3095.


1931

Strood Ivy Leaf 3681 amalgamated with Central 3093.


1932

Sittingbourne 7114 opened.


1933

The first Albatross 5326 closed.


1934

Pride of Wigmore 7235 and Middletune 7239 opened.  

Stan Terry 5828 changed name to Pride of Chatham 5828.


1936

Hoo St. Werburgh 7288 opened.


1937

Men of Kent 7398 opened

Central 3093 amalgamated with the Royal Navy 4339.

Bridgewood 6481 amalgamated with Stan Terry 5828.


1939

Pride of Cuxton 4148 closed.  

The Royal Navy 4339 amalgamated with Sir F.A. Morris 4836.

Pride of Meopham amalgamated with Pride of Gravesend  3469.(?)  

Men of Kent 7398 amalgamated with Woodland 3988


THE 1940’s




1941-1945
Chas Lowman 6205 and Sittingbourne 7114 closed (GL do not know exact year)


1945

Isle of Grain 4646 amalgamated with Allhallows 5334


1946

Sunnyside 7768 opened

Loyal and True 3094 closed


1947

Pembroke 2170 amalgamated with the Royal Marine 3682.  

Pride of Wigmore 7235 changed name to Pride of Rainham 7235.


1948

The second Albatross lodge 7950 opened


1949

Had the opening of both the Pride of Hohenfels 8099 and the second Royal Engineers lodge

8126.  

Hoo St. Werburgh 7288 closed


THE 1950’s




1951

Lest we Forget 8399 opened.

The Comrades 3617 amalgamated with Livingstone 2118(?)


1952

Opening of the Roll of Honour Assembly No. 50


1953

Both the Coronation 8569 and Charnwood Forest 8614 opened.  

Maple Leaf 5974 amalgamated with Lest We Forget 8399


1954

Maison Dieu 8726 opened


1955

Ernest Page 6481 changed name to Liberty 6481.  

Pride of Hohenfels 8099 amalgamated with Pride of Gravesend 3469


1957

Liberty 6481 amalgamated with Sir F.A. Morris 4836


1958

Garden of England 9019 and the second Pride of Wigmore 9055 opened.   

The Duke of Marlboro 4088 amalgamated with Sir F.A. Morris 4836.  

Royal Engineers 8126 changed name to Esprit De Corps 8126.



THE 1960’s




1961


Riverside 9237 opened.  

The second Pride of Wigmore 9055 amalgamated with Pride of Rainham 7235 which was the

old Pride of Wigmore.


1962

Esprit De Corps amalgamated with Middletune 7239


1963

Havon 9353 opened.

Kent County got it's first Grand Lodge Officer Bro. L A S Regnier ROH as Grand Alderman of

Juniper


1967

Island 9560, Chattenden Royal 9605 and the Hand of Friendship 9587 opened


1968

Unity 9652 opened.  

Charnwood Forest 8614 after starting in W.G. 2 Province, the Lodge went to several Provinces

before comming to Kent County this year.


1969

Abbey 9670 and the Pride of Ham-Hill 9672 opened



THE 1970’s




1970


Pride of Sheppey 9767 opened.

Pride of Ham-Hill 9672 transferred to Maidstone Province.


1971

Charnwood Forest 8614 amalgamated with Livingstone 2118.  

Island 9560 amalgamated with Hand of Friendship 9587

Chattenden Royal 9605 amalgamated with Allhallows 5336


1973

Bro. J Kideell ROH elected Grand Registrar (Maidstone and District Province)


1977

Free Enterprise 10117 opened

Livingstone 2118 changed its name to Livingstone Royal Marine with the amalgamation of the

Royal Marine 3682.

Bro.A F G Pellet ROH elected Grand Minstral (Maidstone and District Province)


1978

Royal Jubilee 10175 opened.

The Pride of Gravesend 3469 changed name to the Pride of Riverside with the amalgamation of

the Riverside 9237


1979

Charles Dickens 10242 opened



THE 1980’s




1980

Pride of Rainham 7235 closed


1981

Allhallows 5334 amalgamated with Royal Jubilee 10175


1982

The first Ye Olde Brompton 2838 closed.

Gillingham 3080 amalgamated with the Charles Dickens 10242.

Bro. A Dawe ROH was elected Grand Tyler


1985

Pride of the Medway 10411 opened.  

Havon 9353 amalgamated with Hand of Friendship 9587.

Bro B Barker ROH elected Grand Alderman of Benevolence (Maidstone and District Province)


1988

Pegasus 10457 opened.  

The Pride of Riverside 3469 changed name to Riverside 3469



THE 1990’s




1990

New Brompton 10484 opened.  

Edward VII 3742 amalgamated with Charles Dickens 10242


1991

Maison Dieu 8726 closed.  

Pride of Sheppey 9767 closed.  

Free Enterprise 10117 amalgamated with Coronation 8569.

New Brompton 10484 amalgamated with Charles Dickens 10242


1992

Garden of England 9019 closed

Bro. S. Pellet ROH, elected Grand Alderman of Juniper (Maidstone and District Province)


1993

The second Ye Olde Brompton 10538 opened


1994

Woodland 3988 amalgamated with Pride of the Medway 10411


1995

Livingstone Royal Marine 2118 amalgamated with the Ye Olde Brompton  10538.


1996

Bro. G. Kent ROH, was elected Grand Alderman of Benevolence


1997

Sir F.A. Morris 4836 amalgamated with Royal Jubilee 10175


1999

Both the Will Adams 10620 and the Borough 10621 opened.




THE 2000’s




2000

Clarendon 3221 amalgamated with the Lest We Forget 8399.

Coronation 8569 amalgamated with Riverside 3469.  

Royal Jubilee 10175 amalgamated with Unity 9652.


2003

The second Ye Olde Brompton 10538 amalgamated with Pride of the Medway 10411


2004

Abbey 9670 closed


2005

Middletune 7239 closed.

Unity 9652 amalgamated with the Lest We Forget 8399


2006

Maidstone and District Province amalgmated with Kent County.


2007

Bro. I D Wignall ROH, elected Grand Tyler.


2009

Borough 10261 amalgamated with the Pegasus 10457


THE 2010's


2010

Bro. E Wadland, ROH, elected Grand Tyler.

2013

Bro. M. Dench, ROH elected Grand Constable.

2015

Hilden Wield of Kent 9789 amalgamated with the Man of Kent 8638.

Aslo the Albertross 7950 amalgmated with the Pegasus 10457

2016

Man of Kent 9789 amalgamated with the Lest we Forget 8399.

2017

Pegasus 10457 amalgamated with the Hand of Friendship 9587.

2020

The Province will be holding events to celebrate its 100 years.
 
Back to content | Back to main menu